Divorce or dissolution of marital matters merits special debate, as legal fees for this type of work may include one or more of all of the royalty regimes already mentioned, with the exception of the fact that lawyers cannot collect contingency fees in the event of divorce. In a termination action where the husband and wife already agree on all matters – such as assistance, ownership and custody of the children – a lawyer can set a fixed tax, provided the case remains unresolved until the end of the proceedings. Since legal fees are in part determined by services rendered, it is generally not possible to determine in advance the total amount of costs for a case that may have contentious issues. In such a case, a lawyer may inform the client of the minimum costs of the lawyer – as would be the cheapest – and, in addition, of the hours for the time that could be spent beyond the minimum duration indicated in the lawyer`s initial estimate. Some complications often occur in family law cases, such as divorce. For example, the court may order one spouse to cover all or part of the other spouse`s costs and expenses. In addition, the court may order a spouse to pay a fee to his or her own lawyer in the event of a fee dispute. In some cases, a client may receive an additional legal fee as part of the client`s recovery. This is an amount owed by the opposing party to the client.

The amount awarded by the court may be more or less than the amount you have already agreed to pay your lawyer. These opportunities should be included in the original pricing system. The following restrictions are contained in the rules of professional conduct and apply only to cases of personal or material damage due to illegal behaviour such as car accidents or product liability. These limits also apply to medical malpractice if you have agreed to waive your collection right under the Florida Constitution. You and your lawyer may accept a lower percentage than the one listed below. If you and your lawyer, however, want the fees to be higher, you must go to court before your case is filed, or at the same time your complaint is filed to increase the percentages.